Victoria Newitt Recruitment Inc. has been retained by Kicking Horse Coffee Co. Ltd. to search for an Industrial Controller (A.K.A Bean Counter).
Your daily mission: Support daily operational decision making with rock solid financial data.
Who Are We?
We make coffee. More specifically, we make coffee that kicks ass, and we’ve done it for over 20 years.
It’s exceptional tasting coffee. And that could be why we’re Canada’s #1 selling Whole Bean coffee. But it could also be because all our coffee is Organic. And all our coffee is Fairtrade. And it’s all deep, dark and delicious, roasted right in the Canadian Rocky Mountains. It could also be because our customers are loyal, fervent and demand goodness in every cup.
And it’s not just our coffee that’s good. We were named the Best Workplace in Canada by Great Place to Work in 2018! We know how to work hard and have fun. And we think we’re just getting started.
We believe great coffee is the answer to many things. But our question to the world is, “How will you wake up and kick ass with us?”
Who Are You?
An Operations Accountant with a passion for more than just numbers, you have a keen interest in the operations that you support and how access to good financial information can improve overall performance. You are a problem solver, a critical thinker, and someone with an impeccable eye for detail. You have an ability to build relationships with all departments and your inquisitive nature drives your understanding of the overall business.
What Will You Do?
Support and drive the decision making of our operations team through solid and reliable financial analysis. You will monitor and communicate the financial results of our production facility, carrying out periodic and pertinent checks on the processes in progress. You will work to ensure that the accounting procedures and systems relating to operations are adequate and functional. You will work closely with the COO and his team and will report directly to Financial Controller.
• Ensure our operations teams have accurate and relevant financial information and support to optimize production costs and achieve target results.
• Support business decision making through the analysis and understanding of industrial costs using different analysis techniques (analysis of variances, actual vs budget and actual vs previous year comparisons).
• Teach operations leaders to understand the financial impacts of their decisions.
• Provide monthly and quarterly reporting to the operations teams.
• Manage month-end activities and related financial accruals.
• Define ad hoc reporting for specific industrial KPI (i.e. scraps, labour costs, maintenance, utilities).
• Monitor costs related to trials of new products with dedicated reporting.
• Monthly check of unit costs of products (with different views) actual vs std.
• Define and manage assessment cycles for cost allocation.
• Conduct make or buy analyses to support business decision making.
• Conduct capital project evaluations using appropriate financial KPIs.
• Monitor plant asset depreciation and related lifecycles.
• Support plant continuous improvement and monitoring related projects.
• Manage all budget processes and activities for the operations division.
• 3-5 years of experience working as a Controller or Operations Accountant in the manufacturing sector, experience working in food manufacturing an asset.
• Bachelor’s Degree in business, Accounting, or Commerce.
• Certified or working towards the CPA designation.
• In depth knowledge of the production related modules of an ERP System.
• Experience and understanding of supply chain logistics accounting an asset.
• Deep knowledge of controlling processes: monthly closing, report writing, variance analysis vs budget, product’s standard costs, effective costs, stock controlling and all other controlling-related matters.
• Use of SAP CO /Material Ledger an asset.
• Having worked in an international organization is considered an asset.
• Exceptional at asking in-depth questions and listening to the answers to understand business needs.
• Relationship builder with strong interpersonal and communication skills. People love to work with you!
• Annihilate mediocrity with strong attention to detail; high standards for quality; excellent time management.
• Exceptional communication skills: verbal, written, and presentation.
• Driven self-starter with business acumen, presence, maturity, and professionalism to operate at all levels of the company.
• Ability to effectively counsel, influence, multi-task, project-manage, problem solve, and deliver results.
• Ability to maintain strict confidentiality, use discretion, diplomacy, and tact.
• Fully proficient in Microsoft Office, particularly Excel and PowerPoint.
• Willing and able to work out of our headquarters in Invermere, British Columbia.
If this position suits your skills and experience, we want to talk to you!
Please apply by submitting your resume and a covering letter outlining why you are a suitable candidate for this exciting role.