Victoria Newitt Recruitment
has been retained by Daiya Foods
to search for a R&D Manager.
Do you have a passion for product development and innovation? Daiya
is looking for an R&D Manager
with a strong technical background, a track-record of launching innovative products, excellent leadership skills, and the ability to work cross-functional. This role will be accountable for the delivery of a portfolio of product innovation, renovation, and optimization projects that support strategic objectives and growth. They are equally accountable for building a high performing product development team, capable of creating technically robust products, driving breakthrough innovation, and delivering solutions that delight people and planet.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for overall product development team performance. Develop team culture that supports high performance, innovation, and accountability, and increases team efficiency and output.
- Manage & build the product development team (incl. retention, growth, training, staffing), anticipating future needs and establishing long term team plans.
- Develop performance development plans and goals with individual team members.
- Coach team members to leverage individual strengths and overcome challenges.
- Establish internal and external relationships that strengthen team’s ability to deliver project portfolio.
- Collaborate with R&D management team to build out overall R&D processes, competencies, and capabilities.
Product Portfolio Management
- Responsible to providing robust technical oversight to drive research, product development, problem solving, and decision making.
- Strategize, design and execute experiments at all scales, gathering and analyzing data, documenting and reporting results, and making recommendations towards developing innovative products and processes.
- Exhibit innovation in discovery, advancement, evaluation, and implementation of new proprietary technologies, products, and processes to meet company strategic goals.
- Support team in designing and launching of technically sound product, that meet quality and business targets while ensuring food safety and regulatory compliance.
- Function as a key technical resource to the organization for technical projects and problems.
- Develop relationships and actively collaborate with key suppliers, co-packers, and research groups (companies, universities, etc.), to drive new product development initiatives.
- Responsible for planning, prioritizing, and delivering a portfolio of product innovation and renovation projects to support overall company strategy and growth.
- Work with other functional departments to identify, evaluate, and prioritize product development projects and opportunities.
- Participate in innovation council and interdepartmental meetings to communicate project prioritization, progress, opportunities and implications, technical challenges, and resourcing constraints.
- Manage team resourcing, assigning resources to approved projects and providing timely communication on overall resource and budget status to stakeholders.
- Collaborate with R&D management to develop and manage project and department budgets.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL HAVE:
- Partner with brand management to provide high level oversight to active projects, ensuring delivery against technical targets and overall project scope, budget, and timeline.
- Evaluate projects at the ideation, discovery, and business case phases, and provide input on R&D resourcing and technical complexity.
- Accountable for ensuring that the product development team is following the phase gate process and delivering on responsibilities throughout the project.
- Provide project management and technical guidance to team members throughout the process, providing input to scope, timeline, project plans, and risks.
- Actively participate and collaborate with other departments (operations, marketing, regulatory, finance, sales) to advance product development initiatives and achieve desired business results.
If this position suits your skills and experience, we want to talk to you!
- Bachelor’s degree minimum, with a preference for food science, processing, or engineering.
- 7+ years’ experience in research and development, with a focus on product development.
- Minimum 3+ years’ experience in project and team management.
- Experience managing multiple product projects from conception to market commercialization.
- Demonstrated technical expertise and proven accomplishments leading a high-performance R&D team.
- Demonstrated stakeholder management and leadership in cross-functional teams involving regulatory, marketing, sales, quality, supply chain, and operations.
- Experience building relationships and working with external partners, including suppliers and co-packers.
- Strong understanding of trends, food science, ingredient functionality, product development, experimental design, process technology, and commercialization, across at least two product categories.
- Strong industry knowledge, business acumen, project management, and technical development skills, with the ability to include multiple factors in decision making.
- Ability to set goals, create a roadmap to deliver short- and long-term results, and communicate vision and plan to team.
- Ability to work collaboratively, approach conflict with curiosity, receive feedback, and influence others.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, drive for alignment and decisions, and contribute disruptive ideas.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, Office 365, Sharepoint, and Genesis
- Ability to travel approximately 25%
- Valid Canadian Driver’s License
- Canadian citizenship or permanent residency status.
Please apply by submitting your resume and a covering letter outlining why you are a suitable candidate for this exciting role.