Victoria Newitt Recruitment
has been retained by Daiya Foods
to search for R&D Technologist - Product Development.
The R&D Technologist - Product Development (PD)
works collaboratively to innovate, plan, and conduct technical work that supports the delivery of team projects and tasks. This role works independently, quickly, and accurately to deliver tasks and sub-projects that advance department and company objectives. Work may include, but is not limited to: scientific research, raw material sourcing, product formulation, benchtop prototype development, experimental design, analytical testing, data analysis and interpretation, scale up testing, stability analysis, shelf life testing, sensory testing and production implementation. They are responsible for driving company growth through collaborating, innovating, and experimenting to develop creative product and process solutions.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Developing Quality Products & Processes
- Develop product formulations and processes on benchtop, pilot plant, and production equipment with some guidance from Project Lead or Manager
- Formulate products and create nutritionals and ingredient statements using Genesis
- Design protocols and conducts scientific experiments to develop prototypes and improve product quality
- Prepare & evaluate prototype samples through various testing methods. Includes sensory, analytical, and shelf life testing.
- Maintain accurate records of all technical work, as well as all documentation required for SR&ED.
- Maintain organized workflow in lab
- Participate in continuous improvement initiatives to improve product performance, costs, quality, and manufacturing efficiency
- Plan, coordinate and run plant trials
- Coordinate new production start-up, leading the operational troubleshooting efforts in-house and at co-packer facilities.
Problem Solving & Decision Making
- Collect and analyze data, report results, and make appropriate recommendations for further testing and next steps with occasional guidance from Project Lead or Manager
- Plan, schedule, and execute a range of interrelated tasks and projects with some direction from Project Lead or Manager
Strong technical skills
- Solid knowledge around NPD process, ingredient applications, functionality and production process.
- Demonstrates critical thinking, problem-solving and attention to detail
- Thorough knowledge of R&D (food analysis, chemistry, safety, sensory), engineering and food manufacturing
- Basic Project management skills in managing projects
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, Office 365, SharePoint, and Genesis
- Able to analyze and visualize data and use this to determine and support next steps, with guidance from others
Strong communication skills
- Effectively communicate cross functionally and with external parties with strong English written and oral communication skills
- Able to think out of the box creatively and brings a can-do attitude to challenges and problems
- Able to plan and manage projects with some levels of support from other team members or managers
- Able to lead cross functional team with minimum support from manager
- Degree in BSc Food Science or equivalent, along with min 3 years of experience in food processing experience
- Flexibility to work odd hours or weekends for production trials as required
- Valid Canadian Driver’s License
- Canadian citizenship or permanent residency status.
Collaboration with internal stakeholders
- Work with regulatory and quality teams to ensure all ingredients, specifications (formulation, labelling), and processes meet internal and external requirements prior to launch.
- Build productive working relationships amongst peers in R&D and other departments to achieve common project goals or resolve problems.
- Participate in ideation, concept refinement, and technical feasibility assessment for new R&D projects.
Collaboration with external stakeholders
If this position suits your skills and experience, we want to talk to you!
- Establish and maintain new and existing relationships with suppliers and vendors
- Source & evaluate ingredients from new and existing suppliers
- Maintain strong relationships with existing co-manufacturing partners
Please apply by submitting your resume and a covering letter outlining why you are a suitable candidate for this exciting role.